Monday, February 23, 2009

A Bit of Bad News

Last week I had a meeting with our Executive Director and a person from HR. It did not go well. Our funding has been cut so drastically, when our grant is renewed in September, I will not be renewed with it. I am support staff and will be getting cut since I am an easy place to trim. Another person here also got cut. I am devestated to say the least. I lost my composure and cried right there in the meeting. I mean, what am I going to do? Work at a gas station? Hooters? Wal-Mart? However, I'm trying to (quickly) regroup and come up with a plan. The good news is I have several months until September so I have some time to look for a job, if that is the avenue I decide (or am forced) to go down. I am really hoping for a NEW CAREER. I hope to go to grad school. I am looking at a few different programs right now, and want to quickly decide (or apply to a few and see where I'm accepted) such as Speech Pathology and Physical Therapy. I already complete a FAFSA for this year, which is the first step, because you aren't going to school if you have not filled one out. I want to take the GRE in April and am about to start working on the grad school applications. I am applying late, but I have a fairly strong GPA from undergrad, and my fabulous boss, who knows everything about this university, told me to go ahead and apply late and hope for the best. I am also already looking for a job in case grad school dosen't work out. Looking for a job IS a job so I'm not very enthused about it, but I'm doing it. I've got to pay bills. It is a really big dissapointment because I love my job but I'm trying to move on. I'm really hoping for grad school because I want to have more opportunities in the future. The person I am an assistant to right now is super cool and I am afraid if I got another administrative job the next person might not be so cool. I also don't want to work in administration for the rest of my life. I want to do something exciting, not just something that pays the bills (although that is very, very important). If I go to school in the fall I will probably go back to waitressing. When I worked as a waitress before I had way too much fun and made a fortune, but of course, that was years ago when the economy wasn't so bad. But, first things first, so I'll worry about that if I'm even able to make this happen. So, here's hoping for the best!

I think The Bachelor tonight is that silly talk show thing they do with all the girls. If it is, I'll probably skip it. I'm so ready for the finale. From what I've seen on previews DeAnna shows up and some drama goes down. I'm still pulling for my Dallas girl, Melissa.

I've also been derailed from my diet with all this stress, but I'm getting back on track. The pageant is two weeks out and I don't want to lose my focus because of my bad news. I still want this. I want this a lot. This weekend the only sugar I had was a cup of frozen yogurt....well, and the cheating I did Friday night with Ashley (Town House in Anderson = awesome food).....but the rest of the weekend I was good...why can't this be my motto?

Now, back to my grad school app and the million other things I've got going on....

No comments: