Sunday, June 7, 2009

Still....

weighing my options. Some backgrond - when I first started college way back in 2002 I was going to tech for nursing (Registered Nurse). I completed almost all the classes for what is called the lower division (I only lack Anatomy and Physiology I & II) and was accepted to the upper division (which is clinicals). I was young and scared and didn't know what was going on, running like a chicken with my head off, so instead of beginning clinicals I came to USC. First I wanted to be a social worker, but I didn't want to stay and get a masters, so I switched to Biology, it was really demanding (note: I'm not this lazy anymore) because I again felt I wanted to do something medical, and then finally just called it a day and finished with a BS in Hotel, Restaurant, and Tourism Management in '07. I just wanted to finish and be done. It was an easy degree and I had A LOT of fun during this time. Careers and working were about the farthest thing from my mind.

I ended up getting a permanent job for a research project in the School of Public Health at USC. I worked there during my time as a student at USC as their office assistant. I do their administration and some other stuff now. I love the people I work with, but I don't want to work a desk job forever. This job ends in September anyways.

Now that I am looking for a job and not having much success, I'm heavily considering nurisng again. I wish I had just done that in the first place! Clinicals are very demanding and time consuming and if you work, you can only work part time. There is no way I could stay here in my house and maintain this lifestyle. I was really balking at the idea of moving home, because I've been on my own for so long and am used to having my independence. Yesterday I made a stop at my grandparents on my way back from Atlanta and they said that I could live in their barn so I would still have some independence and feeling of being on my own. Now I know you are thinking "a barn?!" Yes, me, a former pageant queen, living in a barn! The part I (and Trinket of course) would be living in is nice: electricity (I'm not sure if they get cable out there or not, but I could probably get it out there), window unit for AC, carpet, insulation, and so forth. I could make a little studio apartment with what is now my living room and bedroom. The dining room and kitchen I would store. There is not a kitchen or laundry in the barn so I would do all that at their house or my Mom's house. I have a refrigerator I could take and have snacks and drinks in the barn with me. These aren't actual photos, but just so you get the idea. The barn I would be living in is white.

I have an appointment on June 23 to go to tech and get more information. Now they have where you can apply for competitive admission to clinicals and it is done on a point basis. If you already have a bachelors you get 10 extra points so hopefully I could start in the spring or fall of 2010.

I'm still looking for a job and haven't made up my mind yet about what I want to do. If I do nursing school, by the time I'll finish, put that together with my BS and I'll have been in school long enough to be a doctor!

I'm cleaning like crazy for Ashley to move in on the 13th and I'm really excited about it!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend :-D I'm hoping the sun will come out so I can go to the pool. Oh yeah, that's another thing I'd miss if I go back to school....
XOXO
Gamecock Queen

2 comments:

Jane said...

You can still go to the pool in school, just have to swap the US weekly for a textbook ... :)

daniella said...

Who cares if you would have been a doctor by now had you gone with the original plan!!! It NEVER too late in life to realize what your true passion is and go for it. For crying out loud, girl, you're only in your mid-20's. Hardly "old" at all. I say go for it and don't look back with any hint of regret, if nursing is really what will make you happy.

I highly reccomend you pick up the book "The Dream Giver". I can't remember the author's name (non-fiction) but go to Amazon or a bookstore and you'll find it there, in the Christian section. It's really short and a pleasant, fast read. But it will change your perspective big time.