Thursday, July 30, 2009

Starting Aug. 12th!

I'm beginning my new job on August 12th! I am so grateful, this is an answer to prayer. I had a change of heart and ended up picking the job that I had referred to as a "dead end" in an earlier post. Yes, it is still a dead end as far as promotion and raises because of my starting salary being at the top of the payband. It is a department with only a few admins and faculty so not a lot of room for promotion. However, I decided that in spite of all that it is a good move for me, right now.

I decided that this was a good move because it is at the university I currently work for. I've worked for this university since '06 (and I went to school here before that) so I am very familair with the policies and procedures. The position I accepted is very similar to what I do now so I don't have a ton to learn. I didn't like the idea of going somewhere totally new and starting over from scratch, having to learn a new set of skills.

There are also a lot of perks that go with working at this university. For example, I can take a class for free every semester, so that is HUGE. I can use one of the gyms on campus for free. I can buy season football tickets. I get over a week off at Christmas when the university is completely shut down, where as a lot of people have to use their vacation time to spend time with friends and family around Christmas. And the annual leave and sick time ain't too shabby either. The other opportunity that I had been on two interviews for paid about $2,000 more, but I figured that having all these perks about makes up for the money.

The other opportunity seemed good, but I would be out in a tiny cubicle out in a sea of other cubicles. With the job I accepted I have my own office with a window and it is near the nicest part of campus. The part of campus I will be near is my favorite part of campus. It is the historical part and really in the middle of everthing, which is convenient when you have an run to another department for a signature or something.

The other job involved me using my own car for a lot of driving. I was excited about more contact with humans instead of so much paperwork, but not in love with the idea of using my car so much. My car is a 2002 model, I got it when I was a senior in high school. It has been put through the ringer and been on several long road trips. It has high mileage and it's really held up well and I've gotten a lot out of it. It's getting to the point, even though I've never had any problems with it, that I try to avoid any long road trips or using it a lot. I figure with it's age and all the wear and tear it's had it won't be long until it's unreliable. I would like to get a new car before too long and I wasn't crazy about the idea of putting a lot of miles on a brand new car for work. So, let's just say that the driving was a turn off.

I'm really excited to begin and I'm just so relieved that I found something. So so relieved. I feel really good about my choice. Sorry to go on and on, but I'm excited!

Even though the pay is a little less than I'm used to I'll still get a lot of nice perks. I'm going to take advantage of the tuition break and take a science class in the fall. I'm getting everything out of the way so that when I can go to nursing school I'll have as much done as far as the non clinical part goes as I can get done.

XOXO
Gamecock Queen

4 comments:

Jane said...

Congrats and good luck!

USCEmily said...

Yay! Congratulations :-)
What department are you going to be with?

daniella said...

Allright! At first I was going to disagree with you for picking the more "familiar" job where you don't have to learn too many new skils. But then you said that the other job would involve you using your car a lot and then I agreed with you for taking the "familiar" job :-)

Congrats!!! Glad you're still pursuing your dream to be a nurse. You'll be a hot one for sure, just like in the movies.

Bronzed Beauty said...

Congrats on your new job!!!