
I have a Bachelors Degree (in Tourism) from the University of South Carolina, but it's not helping me find a job. My experience is as an administrative assistant in public health research. I don't want to work in hospitality and tourism b/c in my opinion resort or restaurant management is a job with a bad quality of life. You are overworked and underpaid. The hours are terrible. Believe me, I've worked in a hotel and in a few restaurants in the past. I guess I would say I made a poor choice for my undergrad because that industry isn't the right fit for me. My advice to someone who is graduating high school and beginning college is "Get it right the first time!" I made all As and Bs at USC, but my focus wasn't on my major or having a career. I cared only about fun, fun, and more fun and spending every second that I could with my ex boyfriend. I would bring Vogue magazine to class and read it by putting it inside my text book because the classes didn't interest me. I knew then that I was not in the right major, but I didn't want to lose any credits by transferring into a different program. I didn't want to admit that I made made a wrong choice and that I had wasted time or money. I only wanted to finish so I could have more fun and spend more time with said boyfriend. In retrospect, I wish I had been more career minded and focused in college.
Right now I just don't know what my next step should be. I've considered going back to school, but I am not really sure about the expense and I DON'T want more debt. I've always wanted to be a nurse (why didn't I stick with nursing - my original major?!) and my Mom said if I want to get an ADN (2 year nursing degree) I can live with her while I do it. I'm considering it. I've lived by myself and on my own for a long time so I'm not sure how I feel about moving back in a parent.
I guess I have more job searching to do and some serious thinking to do....
This weekend I'm taking a break from all this stress and heading to Charleston to see a dear friend. We've been friends since I was in high school and I can't wait to see her!!

XOXOX
Gamecock Queen
1 comment:
I definitely know what you mean. I'm putting off graduation until August to find a job in something I like.
Post a Comment