Thursday, September 3, 2009

{We ALL Have One...}


A Mr. Big that is. I've recently reconnected with an old flame from my past. He's from way back in my romantic past - from when I was a teenager. When we dated the first time around there was no shortage of drama. There was lots of back and forth, lots of jealousy, and lots of fussing. After all I was a hormonal, ill tempered, teenage girl who could get into a snit at just about anything. And he was young too.

I'll tell you what all I like about him. He is very exciting. He is an adrenalin junkie and used to drive race cars {late model stock} and ride bulls. There is never a dull moment with this one. We used to go out on his grandparent's yacht {yes, he comes from family money} and take out their jet skis. We would take them out and be out on the lake for hours. I used stand on the top of his trailer in the pit and watch him race his racecar. I used to watch him ride bulls. He, like me, grew up with horses and loves to ride. We would go fishing (like the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band song "Fishing in the Dark", if you haven't heard it, go listen to it) and sometimes we would skinny dip in his parents swimming pool after they went to bed. Skinny dipping was as far as it went. We always had an innocent relationship. Fun times. There is A LOT of physical attraction on both sides of this. When I saw him recently it was clear this chemistry didn't lessen with the passing of time.

And there are a few little things. Like how one year he called me on my birthday (# 19) at the crack of dawn (seriously, like 5 AM) to sing me "Happy Birthday". One of my friends told me I might never meet another person in this world who does little things like that.

However, let's not forget that same birthday, a few days prior he was supposed to meet me at the little dive where I worked and was about 5 hours late. FIVE HOURS LATE!! I drank so many Amaretto Sours that night I had a sore throat. Not a pretty night. And no, I'm not proud of behavior like that, but I was still a kid.

Even in the in between time, between then and the present, he was always on my mind a lot and for most of this interim we stayed friends. I dated someone for five years during this interim. When I had been with the guy I dated for five years for about six months, my Mr. Big was injured riding bulls. I came into work and his great uncle was sitting at the bar and told me. Even though I had a boyfriend that I was all about, I immediately went in the back and called him. I went and saw him that night when I got off work and we hung out watching TV for awhile. Another time I was home on spring break and had been dating my ex for about 3 years at this point in time and ran into my Mr. Big. My friend that was with me said he was about falling out of his chair to get my attention that night. A few days after that, we met up with one of my girlfriends in a restaurant and had martinis. The restaurant was on the marina in my town and we walked out to the boats and visited his grandparents on their yacht that night. After that night he said really wanted to come visit me at college but I told him that wasn't a good idea since I had a boyfriend and he had a girlfriend. So, even though I dated someone else for five years and really thought that guy was the one, I still had some lingering feelings for my Mr. Big. One of my girlfriends that met him once when she and I ran into him out said that to her it looked like we had unfinished busiess.

So now in the present we have been out on a date and it was great. I was on cloud nine for the whole night. But, as was always the pattern, some drama and some fussing was part of the night. Now I haven't heard anything out of him for several days. I'm really dissapointed about it. It shows me he probably hasn't really changed. However, if he hasn't changed and he's the same old Mr. Big type, I'll hear from him. You know he'll pop up when I least expect it. :-D

And I'm looking forward to when that happens.

p.s. There is no way I will be the one to break down and get in touch with him. When it comes to this one, I've always had a lot of will power because I know how much he likes hard to get.

No comments: