Friday, June 3, 2011

I Used to Blog? Part II

Today I started to miss blogging and thought I would take a quick second and try to update. Things have been sort of crazy my way, and not exactly in a good way. But, God is good and everything is OK.

The run of bad luck began at the Jimmy Buffett concert. The concert itself was AMAZING. Jimmy did all my favorites and he did a cover of "Southern Cross" by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young which is one of my favorite songs EVER. Seeing Jimmy Buffett has been a long time wish of mine and he did not disappoint at all! After the concert my precious Mustang (which I bought brand new only last year) got hit by another vehicle.


Long story short, the people that hit me are saying that they did NOT hit me and their insurance denied my claim. I'm having to pay a deductible to get my Pony Princess fixed. Not fun, but it's OK.

Next gets worse, we got robbed. Our home was broken into w/ no signs of forced entry. I was REALLY upset over the jewelry I had stolen. Not only because of the monetary value of what I had stolen (and the fact that our renters insurance was only paying us $1000 for what we lost), but most of all because of the sentimental value. This ring is really unique (it's about 10 karats, amethyst set in yellow gold with diamond side stones) and it has a lot of meaning for me. My great Aunt got this ring in the 60s or 70s (she doesn't remember exactly when or where) with her husband, who passed away in the 80s, and gave it to me as a gift for my 21st birthday. It's VERY special to me. We did a police report and long story short I ended up using some vacation time and going to every pawn shop in town. My ring was found at a pawn shop and we were reunited w/ our jewelry. The theft occured on Cinco de Mayo when we went out for Mexican for dinner and a maintenance person was in our apartment fixing a water leak unattended. There is a warrant out for his arrest but so far the police have not been able to locate him. He no longer works at our apartments so we are back to feeling safe. Losing the safe feeling we had in our home was also really stressful, but things are better now.


The loss of the ring was super hard for me and I spent A LOT of time reflecting on this verse before it was recovered.

Matthew 6: 19-21 “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

It was about a week before a pawn shop called me saying they had my ring and by that point I'd given up on ever seeing it again. The family the owns the pawn shop were some of the nicest people I've ever met. It was a couple that is in their 70s and their old mother was also at the store, at 103 years old! Precious family.

Next my Mom took a fall from her horse. She's OK now-thank God. We were very blessed that she wasn't injured more than she was. I had to use some family sick leave and stay w/ her in the hospital and at her house for a few days. The most important thing is that she is OK. While she was on the mend we were able to go to the movies and see the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie and that was A LOT of fun!! It's a fun movie and I loved Penelope in it.

I'm super relieved that these events are over and that everything turned out OK! It's been a stressful few weeks, but everything is alright. Stuff like this makes you think about what is really important in life and what's just "stuff"...like your car or your jewelry.

I'm super excited about the weekend!! I'm looking forward to spending some time outside. I just LOVE summer. I also have a second date. More posts to come soon! I've missed you all!

XOXO
Gamecock Queen

2 comments:

Nikosmommy said...

OMG you've been through a lot lately. I can understand your lack of interest in blogging. Here's hoping that your summer is WAY better than this spring has been for you...

Have a great weekend!!

daniella said...

Oh my stars, woman! That's quite a time you've gone through. At the end of the day you did come out alright, but I say even better. So glad to hear you kept a soft heart and sensitive ears to listen to what the Lord wanted you to hear and feel. Seasons of life...we all go through it in one form or another. Sounds like you became a better person because of it.