My boyfriend has been saying for a while that he would like to get a dog. He closed on his house in Feburary and moved in during March, as well as got the tall privacy fence built in the backyard. His place is all ready for a dog (plus Trinket tested and approved).
To be honest, I was NOT 100% on board with this idea at first. He travels frequently for work so that will leave yours truly to care for the new dog several days a week. I don't even allow myself to wear heels on the hardwood floors downstairs...a big dog with nails? NO way!
I gave it some thought and I've come around. I think a man should have his own dog. Trinket loves my boyfriend, but she is a total girlie dog.
At first I was pushing for a bullie. How adorable is this baby?
Aside from the cuteness, I was mainly interested in a bullie because I hear they are super laid back couch potato dogs. I feel like a terrible South Carolina alum and disloyal Gamecock fan saying this, but I secretly think Uga is PRESH!
We were worried about a bullie in the South Carolina heat and moved on from that idea. After some conversations and research, I think we are almost 100% on a German Shepherd.
The puppy will be coming from a farm in Iowa and will be coming back with us when we visit in September. It will be between six and eight weeks old. The breeder told my boyfriend the puppy's father is from Finland.
German Shepherd puppies are SO cute! They remind me of baby bears.
Like any good mother I am already researching local dog trainers and puppy kindergartens. I am a total scaredy cat and get terrified when I'm home alone, so I think it will be good to have a gaurd dog. We want to eventually do protection training with the dog. From what I understand to do that we will have to do puppy kindergarten and obiedience 1 and 2 with the dog first.
I'm actually getting excited now!
And just so she won't be left out of this dog post, my little nugget. She is sneaking one last look at her reindeer Clarice before Clarice got a bath in the washing machine Tuesday night.
Let me know if you know of any dog trainers or dog schools in Columbia, SC or have anything to add about German Shepherds. I would love to hear from anyone about German Sheps! Suggestions and recommendations welcome.





2 comments:
My aunt and uncle have had several German Shepherds. They had one named, Nikki. They have pictures of me when I was just a toddler crawling all over her. I'd pull her ears and she would just lick me. They are really great family dogs. Really patient around children and protective too.
Another family friend (sheriff officer) had German Shepherds as well. Again, both dogs were great around children. They are super smart too.
Let me know what you both decide on. I'd love to hear all about your new pup.
P.S. Trinket is adorable!!! Love that picture of her.
Post a Comment