Friday, February 18, 2011

TGIF

This weekend is going to be BIG for me. This weekend I'm meeting my new boyfriend's four year old boy for the first time! Yes, I said new boyfriend, as in we are facebook official! Go ahead and laugh, but you know FBO is what makes something "real" these days LOL. We've been dating for about two months, and he's a good Dad so his kid is a huge part of his life...naturally, I'm nervous!

New boyfriend is one in a million :-). This Valentine's Day was the best Valentine's Day I've ever had. He surprises me, is always nice to me, and he is SO thoughtful. He does things w/out asking...for example, when he found out A and I were moving, he wanted to help us. He did it w/out being asked, or nagged, or complaining. I think they say you meet the WRONG pple so you can appreciate it when someone good comes along, and that is def the case with me!

I as I said, I have some anxiety about meeting the kid! Several of my friends are Mommies, and all their kids like me so I hope that bodes well. I'm trying to be prepared in case he doesn't like sharing his Daddy time w/ someone and shows out! I would never ever want to take his Dad's attention away from him - ever- I just don't know if he will understand that since he's a child. Growing up I was always jealous when my Mom had a date around. I am trying not to expect too much, but hopefully he'll like me.

I know a lot of you bloggers are Mommies so I thought I'd share this b/c it made me laugh. One of my girlfriends, who has a PRECIOUS little boy, and I were emailing at work one day. I told her I'd be meeting new boyfriend's son and that I'm nervous about it going well. She wrote me back the funniest email:

"Yeah I bet you are nervous! Don't be though. Children sense fear! Lol! Little boys love to play outside, sports, fast cars, guns, anything that makes a lot of noise or annoys pple…basically, they are just small men!!! Little boys love you!! Seriously, don't be nervous for real. It'll be just fine. Let me know how it goes!"

I think some of my nervousness stems from me REALLY liking this guy and also b/c I think I might have some bad karma due my way. I'm a Christian, so I DON'T REALLY believe in karma, but I do think what goes around comes around. I was TERRIBLE to my Mom's boyfriends growing up! Plus, I don't know a lot about kids seeing as though I don't have one.

I pretty much couldn't stand my former Step Dad for about the first 3 years he and my Mom were married. Now I consider him a dear friend and I treasure having him as a part of my life. Besides my precious Granddaddy (who has always spoiled me rotten), my Step Dad is the closet thing I have to a father. That's special to me.

It's amazing to me how he could be nice to me even though I was a first rate BRAT, and I'm not even his. He didn't have to, and still doesn't have to, treat me the way he does. I can draw some parallels here to salvation if you follow my train of thought...I'm probably not explaining myself well...but you can get my drift. We have a Heavenly Father that loves us although by human nature we don't deserve it.

I genuinely feel bad that I was such a huge brat growing up. Now that I'm in my Step Dad's shoes...golly geez..it's intimidating to meet the child of someone you care about!

One of my girlfriends is a Mom and a Step Mom and she suggested bringing a toy with me when I meet him. I made her come with me to Target and pick the toy out since her son is 5. I got a monster truck that drives on it's own (battery operated, I guess?) and it has the dinosour from Toy Story (I think his name is Rex?) on it. The dinosaur is removable or can ride on the truck.


Hope yall have a good weekend!!
XOXO
Gamecock Queen

3 comments:

Nikosmommy said...

My 5 year old LOVES Toy Story and Monster trucks so i think u made some good choices. BUT don't be bothered/upset if he isn't totally excited or pumped about the gifts. He might be into other popular toys and not seem to care about these. (my little guy does it all the time!)
What he will remember is that you took the time to bring him some toys and that'll make a great first impression!!! Good luck!!!

midnight macaroons said...

Aww, that would be so sweet if you brought a little toy with you. Dinosaurs are always a big hit. My husband is a grown man and he still likes dinosaurs, ha! Can't wait to hear how it goes. I'm sure he'll love ya.

Just started The Help this weekend. I'm going to have to get the other book you mentioned.

midnight macaroons said...

You were right. The Help has a slow start but then gets going. What is crazy is that we are moving to Jackson and all the neighborhoods they are mentioning in the book are the ones we have been shopping for real estate in. I remember seeing an older beautiful house in Belhaven. I noticed that it had a bathroom in a weird place. Now I understand why.