
I try to be pretty honest and open on my blog...I have a question that I have a feeling I'll get all sorts of answers to...and I'm just going to go ahead and ask it. When it comes to dating, how old is TOO OLD?
Is it all a matter you what YOU personally feel comfortable with? Or is there an "Ick Factor"??

Catherine Zeta Jones and Michael Douglas are 25 years apart. It happens ALL the time. A younger woman an an older man is hardly a novelty.
I met a man a few weeks ago. I met him through my roommates co-worker, who is a platonic friend of ours, and whom we think the world of. I met this mutual friend at a Thursday night football game, went out the following Thursday (on a really nice date BTW), went to a football game on Saturday, and out on the lake yesterday.
This guy actually has some manners, is very successful, likes dogs, knows how to behave and knows how to treat a lady. He opens doors, he shows up on time, and is not only curteous to me, but also to A (she came along for the football game and the lake this weekend). I've met so many rude guys! Or guys who, like one I met at the gym, will want to (instead of asking you out on a regular old fashioned date) suggest you accompany them to a party or suggest they come over to "hang out at the pool at your place." Umm, no! That just does NOT impress me, not at all. And let's not even get into the real jerks, the disrespectual guys, and ones that just plain want to get into your pants.
I like to be wined and dined. I like to feel like the other person, especially in the beginning stages, wants to extend the effort. I dated a guy for almost 5 years in college, S, and looking back, I put way too much work into that relationship! Never again! I feel like I'm worth the extra effort.
SO, this guy I met, is about 20 years older than I am. I will admit, I have never really dated anyone so much older than I am, and it freaks me out a little bit!! I'm not really sure exactly WHAT about it freaks me out, or WHY it's making me wig. Saturday morning when we were getting ready to go meet this guy and his friends to tailgate I was almost in meltdown mode! I was seriously wigging about the big age difference! Then, once we got there, I had a great time and everything was fine.
SO, any thoughts?? Is it somehow "wrong"...or just a matter of preference?
XOXO
Gamecock Queen
7 comments:
I take it things didn't exactly work out with your neighbor/single father dude, jinxed dude.
I'll be honest; I've ALWAYS been attracted to older men. And no, I don't have daddy issues. I have a couple of friends who married guys that are between 11 and 20 years older than themselves. My sister is engaged to a man 20 years older than her and she says that it's the best relationship she's ever had. I say if you really like him give it a chance! As always, don't force it and don't hold back :-)
I've always been attracted to older men as well- and looking at the men who are around my age or only slightly older (because I've never and will NOT date anyone younger than myself) I realize that they also have that "older" quality about them. Something that says, "Hey. I've been there done that. I have a career and know how to treat a woman with respect."
Not saying all older men are like this, nor are younger men NOT like this.
The oldest guy I've dated was 14 years older than me. Best dates ever. We lived too far apart for anything more.
I think it's normal to feel icky. I mean, hell I draw the line at a certain age limit...unless it's george Clooney or Tom Selleck, ok!? lol
If you like this man without knowing his age, go for it!! I mean, not if you still feel ick, but otherwise...YES.
Age is just a number!!!
Its sooooo cliche, but age truly is just a number...not to mention my husband who is only 1 year older than me has the maturity level of a 10 year old boy. We mature so much faster so usually age doesn't bother me when a girl dates an older guy but something usually gives the jeebiez when its the other way around. Total double standard, I know.
BUT bottom line, you were wined and dined and treated like a lady and at the end of the day, that is all that matters :)
I'm gonna have to jump on the "age is just a number" wagon!! :)
My ex, before I married my hubby, was 15 years older. He was an executive in the wine industry and I had so much fun dating him. He always took me on fabulous trips, taught me a lot about wine, and gave me great career advice. He had a good sense of humor and made me laugh all the time. When we were together I completely forgot that he was that much older. However, at first it did freak me out a bit but then I saw him for him and the age thing fizzled out. Everyone got use to us being together (friends & family) and it wasn't a big deal. My hubs is 7 years older and age really doesn't come up unless I'm teasing him (he turned 40 this year). I think life is short so spend it with people you like regardless of age.
Don't worry about age!! I have always been attracted to older men. My husband is actually only 5 years old than me, and some days it still surprises me I didn't marry someone much older. I love my husband but you can't help who you fall in love with... young or old... it just happens!!
I say don't worry about age and just go for it!!! As long as he makes you happy!!
Post a Comment