Monday, November 8, 2010

Body Post

As those of you that read my blog regualry know, I've been trying to lose about 10 pounds since August. I saw some pics of myself at a concert, and I wasn't too pleased! It's only about ten pounds, but I can really tell in my FACE and upper body. My legs and stomach are still OK.

So far I've stayed at 150 (I was horrified to hit 150, it's the most I've EVER EVER weighed). It's good that I haven't put on more, but bad that I haven't lost any weight even though I've been trying.

Some history about my weight. Growing up I was teeny tiny. Little stick arms and legs. Both my parents are little, small boned, and skinny. Growing up I played sports, lived on a farm, and ate whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. I never gained any weight and was like this until I was in my mid-twenties.
Around 2008 I had gained a little bit of weight from college (living in the dorms, eating fast food a lot), but not much. After college graduation I was doing pageants and lived off a pretty strict diet and exercised A LOT. I was in GREAT shape. I think I was around 135 here, which is pretty small for someone almost 6 ft tall. I know realistically that this is probably too much work to maintain w/ the lifestyle (work schedule, social obligations) I have now, and I'm OK w/ that.
Fastforward to present day. I've aged out of pageants. They were A LOT of fun and I wouldn't trade my experiences and memories for anything. That being said, I don't miss them all that much! ALL that WORK! Not just for me, but they were stressful for my Mom and dear sweet roommate (who basically got snookered into being my "stage mom" for years). I've had so much more time and money for fun stuff...concerts, trips (to places I want to go, not b/c I'm in a pageant there), more free time...BUT I've gained 10 lbs.

This summer I enjoyed the occasional beer by the pool, ate pretty much whatever I wanted, and was burnt out on the gym so I didn't go all that much. 10 lbs creeped on before I knew it!

Now, I understand 10 pounds is NOT a lot. NOT really even worth being so upset about. And in fact, I wouldn't even be upset except for two things. I don't like feeling like my face is bigger AND so many of my clothes are tight!!

Right now I really wouldn't even say I'm FAT. I know I'm not. I may not be teeny tiny Gisele sized like I once was, but I'm still pretty fit and toned. I'm just BIGGER, kind of like Brooke Hogan. I'm OK w/ it, really.

EXCEPT for the clothing issue! I have put A LOT of my income into my clothes. Add to that I don't make as much $ I used to make, so I don't have as much to spend on my wardrobe as I once did. I also have a car payment now, whereas I drove a car that was paid off for years. Over time I've bought some really nice clothes. $200 Paige Demin jeans that I LOVED are now so tight they are like sausage casing. I can wear them, but they cut into me so much that it's uncomfortable. I can't afford to spend that kind of money on clothes anymore, so understandably, I want to lose this weight and wear the clothes I already have and NOT have to spend $ replacing them. :-[

This is SO frustrating! Last week I went to the gym 5 out of 7 days. I'm going to try to go as much as I can this week as well, although I'm going out of town on Friday. This week I plan on:

Monday (today): spinning
Tuesday: zumba
Wednesday: yoga
Thursday: 30 minutes cardio, about 20 lifting weights

I'm also trying to eat less and I'm NOT buying sweets and treats at the grocery store. I'll keep you posted as to when some of this comes off!!

I welcome any suggestions!! 10 pounds seems to be impossible to shed! I want to get back to 140 so bad I can't stand it.

XOXO
Gamecock Queen

5 comments:

Jenny said...

:-) Yay, so glad that you're not "obsessing" over this. Concerned? Yes, and I FEEL you on the clothing issue. Clothes are damn expensive and I will shrink myself before buying new sizes.

My only suggestion would be to up that cardio, baby! If you're eating pretty clean and healthy, AWESOME- diet, as I'm sure you knopw accounts for about 80% of weight loss. It's most important. BUT, I do believe that if you were to add another day of cardio and maybe do 45 minutes to an hour instead of just 30, you'd shed fat faster. Just my suggestions.

Have a great night honey!

Nikosmommy said...

I can completely understand how you feel about your recent weight gain. It's hard when the clothes you love (and spent mucho $ on don't fit anymore.)
I think the reality (as much as you probably don't wanna hear this), is that as we move through our 20's it becomes harder to maintain the weight we used to be able to. 135 lbs at almost 6ft is amazing! (You must have been so tiny) which I'm sure was awesome at the time, but also super hard to maintain. If you've found that your weight has crept up a bit (even though you're still fairly active) it could be that your metabolism is changing as you're aging. It's important to be diligent but if you find that you can't shake these 10lbs it may be because your body is saying this is what it can maintain.
I for the LIFE of me cannot get back to what I weighed when I was 21. I've dieted and worked out till the cows come home and I sorta feel like I've moved passed the ability to maintain that low of a weight if that makes sense?(since I'm in my early 30's now.)
Keep up with the cardio, and like Jenny said, it's TOTALLY 80% diet....but if you find you're really struggling to keep your weight in the 140's it might be time to embrace the 150's?
P.S. I've heard this from my dietician and my doctor over and over again....5 lbs for each inch over 5 feet tall. So for you 150lbs is spot on, if not even a bit low...(if that makes u feel a bit better!)

USCEmily said...

Have you tried Weight Watchers? I started back in May and lost about 10 lbs in the first month or so, which I have kept off by sticking to it (for the most part). I wanted to lose 5 more, but am satisfied with the 10. I do the online one, so no meetings. It's really helpful to think of everything as a point value. I'm sure you'd lose even more than me because of going to the gym. I'm lucky if I get a run or two in a week for exercise.
Btw, I'm back to blogging! And, we should do lumch next week after payday :-)

corkyshell said...

Well personally I think Brooke Hogan looks fantastic :) But I understand the wardrobe frustration :(

I think you're doing a lot of things right. Changing up your workouts is great because it keeps you intersted. Here are just a few of my tips and then I will get off my soapbox :) :)

1) http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

This is great for people who want to start eating right. I do not believe in counting calories per say and am 100% AGAINST someone eating less than 1500 calories a day. But this is a great way to start eating right!

And its tough in the beginning, but meal planning is a life saver. I eat so much better especially at dinner because at the end of a long day, I only have enough energy to make something, not think of something healthy then make it.

2) Workout smarter, not harder.

I think so many people think we need to spend hours in the gym. I love circuit workouts, just love them. Instead of lifting then doing cardio. Do 2-3 different strength training exercises then add a jump rope/sprint/mountain climbers/squat jumps then rest 30-45 secs. Do 2-3 different exercsies then again, something to get your heart rate up.

If you neee examples, have soo many you can email me at mondaymorningfitness@gmail.com


Keep me updated, would love to hear about your progress!!

midnight macaroons said...

First of all, I think you look fabulous. I know that it's very cliche to say so but it's true.. you're gorgeous. However, I know how it feels to hit the gym like a mad woman and not lose the weight. I'm there at the moment. I've gained sooo much weight it's disgusting. I hate looking at myself in pictures. I'm hitting cardio and weights at the moment. But I've been traveling and it sucks trying to eat healthy on the road. Grrrr!!!

What did you think of your zumba class?